Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Memories

Last night I had the pleasure of visiting with one of my old college friends. Jules and I hadn't seen each other for at least three years, and we had a lot of catching up to do. We met over a famous Chicago deep dish, and talked about the past, the present and which life altering ceremonies and additions our adult lives have brought us and those we know. It was such a pleasant evening. An evening in which I discovered that I have blocked out the majority of my college existence. She mentioned our trip to Chicago during our tenure as members of Alpha Sigma Alpha. I remember the trip is being quite pleasant, and falling in love with the city, which is how I have ended up settling here. She remembers those things as well, but also a large amount of drama. I completely blocked this out.


She mentioned my old ( very very crappy) apartment in Kent, Ohio during one of my summer's in Cleveland. I remember that it was the worst place I have ever lived in, and that the hallway scene from The Shining, may have been filmed in the hall outside my door. She remembers swimming in the pool. I blocked that out, in fact it took me a few moments to remember the pool at all.


Apparently, I blocked out quite a bit. Who knows what other factual tidbits and interesting portions of my life I am missing.


I know as you grow older, you only remember certain aspects of your life. I thought, however, that I was remembering much more than I actually am. Perhaps this is why we need to reconnect with our old friends.. so they can fill us in on what we've forgotten about ourselves.


Thank you Jules, I feel refreshed!

A.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails