Thursday, March 5, 2009

Slumdog

It was only a matter of time before I posted something about the latest film phenom "Slumdog Millionaire". I have been meaning to write something for weeks, but have been too busy flying to Vegas ( look forward to that post soon..)



I went with a friend to see the "Slumdog" the Sunday of the Oscars. I went into the theater with extremely high expectations. At this point, I had already had the film suggested to me by several friends who found it to be excellent. Everyone I had talked to had described the film as being superb. This is rare, in my circle of diverse friends especially, that everyone said it was amazing, no one said it was " just ok" or " watchable" or gods ( as in greek) forbid " horrible and boring and only for old people" ( As was the case of other critically praised films out now " Benjamin Button" anyone?)

I was also armed with the ammunition that this film was nominated for several academy awards, which I realize is not always indicative of a good film, but sometimes they get it right. In this case, I completely expected to be let down.

And, I was. Ok, so I was only let down by the fact that the theater was PACKED and we had to sit in the second row. I was let down by my unforgiving bend less spine, and watering eyes, I was not however at all let down by the film. In fact, the brilliance of the film made the uncomfortableness of my aging spine worth it. I would like to see it again, though, from a more comfortable vantage point.

"Slumdog Millionaire", the British film directed by Danny Boyle, is an adaptation of the book "Q&A" by Vikas Swarup. ( which I have yet to read). It has become something of a pop culture icon recently with it's award success. The film has won 8 Academy awards, including Best Picture, 5 Critic's Choice, 4 Golden Globes and 7 BAFTA awards. And, this time, those hokey award celebrations actually got it right.

What impressed me the most was the use of music and cinematography in conjunction with the storyline. The film is kept light and enjoyable, with bold color and an intense musical score despite it's depiction of Indian slums, and the children that inhabit them. As you watch, you are drawn into the overall power of the film.

In addition to seeing the film I have also read an interesting article in the February 23rd edition of the New Yorker entitled "Opening Night". This was an article that described the very real situation in the slums of Mumbai during the night when the film was released. It shows an interesting perspective of the children collecting bits of aluminum to sell for profit, in order to eat, while simultaneously the elite walk the red carpet to watch a film depicting the reality. It is an interesting dichotomy and sad reality. Most of us, as middle class Americans, can not imagine living without running water, in constant persecution for our beliefs, and in fear of our lives and the lives of our families. We cannot relate to the character Jamal Malik ( protagonist in "Slumdog") who is raised in poverty and must run for his life, only to be trapped into a life of being controlled by a gangster who "trains" children to make money by various means. We cannot relate, yet this film makes these issues come into sharp focus. However, in many cases such as these, we view these disturbing scenes and situations as pure entertainment, and give out awards for showing us the truth, yet, do nothing to correct the real problem in areas such as the one depicted. For example, don't major cities in our own country boast some of the highest poverty levels? ( 1. Cleveland, OH with 31.3% living below the poverty level (which pains me personally) 2. Newark, NJ at 30.4 % and 3. Detroit, MI at 30.1 %)

But, I've gotten off topic. The film is a must see, if not for the artistic brilliance, or the musical showcase, or even the controversial topics, at least for the entertainment value and humor in the "outhouse scene".

I urge you to go see this film if you haven't already. This is the best I have seen since "Dark Knight" which is a completely different genre, but one of the best summer blockbusters/artistic visions into the underworld lifestyle of ( arguably) one of the best super heroes of all time. I have seen in recent years, therefore making it a benchmark for truly good films. "Slumdog" is at the top of my list. It will encourage you to volunteer in your community ( at least it did for me) while at the same time inspire you artistically.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I am looking forward to seeing this film (with you). From the standpoint of someone who has not seen the film yet, but has seen the results of the awards it had received, it could easily be thought that it was awarded so much due to its release date being so close to the actual awards ceremony, and in theaters at exactly the same point as well. That is usually how some movies gain awards without actually being as good as films released earlier in the year. However, everyone is praising this film, and the nastiest of critics are praising it as well, so it must be a good flick.
Maybe we can go see it this weekend?

The Critic said...

Someone's encroaching into my territory....

Now I shall write a vague blog post to unnamed relatives chastising them for being upset at my opinions.

Andrea said...

Oh come now, I cannot let you hold the monopoly on all criticism of everything pop culture.

And, by all means, please write a post chastising others for not listening to you, I'm sick of being the only whiny baby. haha.

Related Posts with Thumbnails