Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Elitist in Me Speaks

A little something I had to research myself after hearing about it this morning on A.M.
Fans of Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, and Jay-Z are lowest in IQ as compared to fans of Radiohead, U2, and Bob Dylan who rank the highest. Fans of Lil' Wayne rank the least intelligent of all. A study was done by researchers who compared students SAT exam scores to their favourite music acts. And I quote "Those who prefer indie music are most intelligent, while pop, rock and gospel fans were all ranked at the lower end of the scale." Dave 1 - Majority 0. The article can be found here (source), here, here, and various other places after a google search.
So.. all you corporate pop rock, hip-hop loving brainless drones out there, for instrumental indie I recommend:
Explosions in the Sky, God Speed You Black Emperor, Do Make Say Think, Mono, Pelican, A Silver Mt. Zion, Unwed Sailor, Russian Circles, Saxon Shore, Sigur Rós.. for vocal indie, you're on your own as there are so many good bands out there my recommendations would go on forever.. so if you like any of it.. uhmm what does Beyonce say? Put a ring on it? yeah.. that makes sense..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what did it say about classic rock? I'm taking my 9 hr National Board Exam on Monday, I'd like to know how hard I have to study this week or if my fate has already been predetermined by my (lack of) music preference.

Anonymous said...

sigur ros sucks 99 out of 100 times hahah. The others i agree with though.

Dave said...

Amanda, both articles point to classic rock such as the Beatles, U2, Hendrix as being around the middle, to upper middle. My belief is that the students who have higher IQ's tend to like music composed by musicians who play instruments, whereas the lower IQ students listen to 'beats' created by any preschool minded tool with a mild grasp of audio editing computer software.
Good luck on the exam.

The Critic said...

Yeah, I'm thinking that the geniuses who love themselves some Justin Timberlake (he's bringing back sexy from wherever it was that sexy went away to?) won't become any smarter if they start listening to Radiohead. It's just a situation that if you're smart, you like smart music; if not, then not.

Sorry 'bout that, dummies!

Now I have to read the article to see where Garth Brooks fans fall on this scale.

"You say intellectual elites like that's a bad thing." <--button i keep in my drawer.

Andrea said...

So then, what does it mean if you like music all over the board? I consider myself relatively intelligent, but I like both Beethoven and Jazz. I like Beck, The Beatles, but also Oldies. I enjoy Radiohead, but also Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks. Death Cab, and Dashboard are some of my old favs. Basically, while I instinctively agree with the argument being made here, I simply can't agree that my love of Bon Jovi and Jimmy Eat World, or my occasional slip to Christina Aguilera (that girl have a damn good singing voice, damn it!)means I'm not as smart as the rest of you! At least I'm not a lil' wayne fan, right?

Andrea said...

let's pretend that above in my comment where I mention that Christina has a good singing voice, I used the word, "has" instead of the typo "have" which basically proved my illiterate stupidity.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwyoH1F6RzI&feature=player_embedded



go here this is some good music about dave

The Keirnel said...

I would say that intellectuals most likely have a broader range of musical likes and dislikes. I would also therefore suppose that those with a lower iq listen to a relatively limited range of musical genres. This observation is clearly just that, observation, and of course, is not supported in any way, shape or form by any substantial study or statistical data.

you know who i am said...

yay! i'm smarter than most people. i was even smarter when i was younger though, as my younger music was more indieish. (smart people can make up their own words.)

since i'm a big fan of personal anecdote as evidence (which is sarcasm), can i please offer the following?:

my honors students are assigned to research the style and significance of a musical artist or band.

my top students offer the following bands/artists: Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, a couple of indie bands I said no to due to limited ability to research, and U2

other students chose: Rascal Flatts, Britney Spears, and Abba (which is actually a hysterical choice)

Related Posts with Thumbnails