Monday, June 16, 2008

Hobbies for Readers

I do not play volleyball. I do not play tennis, golf, basketball, softball, baseball, or ride a bike. I do not run, and I do not want to do any of these things for fun. These activities seem more like work than fun. Don't get me wrong, other people seem to really enjoy these things, and make them look fun. I, however, am not athletic. AT ALL.

I enjoy reading. I enjoy writing and art related things. However, these things do not allow me to meet others, and to engage in conversation, make friends and feel like I am part of a group. So tell me, how am I supposed to meet people if everything I enjoy is a solitary activity?

Do not say, " join a book club". Book clubs are not for interesting, young and spirited people, most book clubs are boring, and full of pretentious older people who think the Bronte sisters were brilliant. Vomit.

Do not say,"join a writers workshop". Writers workshops are full of these same pretentious people, again with the Bronte groupies, and, to be honest, I have been out of practice when it comes to writing lately, and wouldn't want to share with anyone, thus making me a worthless member of the workshop.

Do not say, " become a member of the art institute and take some classes". I already plan on doing that, eventually.Though, I fear I will be surrounded with much better artists than myself and my pathetic attempts to create anything and be a part of a group will just end up with me feeling bad about myself.

I like to be outside, preferably on the beach, but, unless I play volleyball, it's difficult to meet people that way. Again, I would rather just lie there and read.

So.. what hobbies, in which I can meet other people, can I do, as a reader?
A.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...I got it! Start going to support groups. I suggest Sunday bowel cancer its the best. "His name was Robert Paulson"

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I like anonymous..you know what I think, I think that the book club is a fantastic idea, personally. Yet, instead of being in one, why not start one. When you put the word out there state what books you would like to read, and make it age group specific.....unless some cool older chick or guy was into the same books, maybe you should make it writer specific.....
Mary

Dave said...

Mary,

You wanna join my long distance book club?

A.

Anonymous said...

I would actually love to, see, I have two problems. A. I share your problem of not meeting new people because I too like "hobbies" that involve only me, and B. I am a new mom, so there really isn't much time to go out and play sports, or anything of that sort. I would actually love to have someone tell me that they read a good book. I find myself in BooksaMillion not knowing what to buy, although I really want to buy a book. It is incredibly sad.
With all of that rambling, I guess what I was trying to say is, I am in!

julie said...

I would join your long distance book club! I need something to do when I'm working out :)

The Critic said...

Bah! Emily Bronte does rock the freakin house, damnit. If that makes me a boring old pretentious ass, then so be it. Wuthering Heights will F-you up.

At any rate, if you only like solitary activities, you aren't going to meet many people. I too prefer the solitary to the group, with my social preferences being limited to very small gatherings or simply one-on-one hanging out. It's taken years for me to acclimate myself to the hard fact that a.) part of me feels like I should be a better social animal [especially on weekend nights when I think I should be "doing something"] and b.) most of me loathes the idiotic things that "doing something" entails, such as standing around in large clubs with too loud music, then i always feel like I'm wasting my time and I would be much happier on my own.

There's a tricky bit of coming to terms here. Society says if you like being alone then you're "a loser" or "disturbed" or that "there's something wrong" with you. How about, you just like doing your own thing? What's so wrong about that?

Anyway, no real conclusion here, just some random thoughts.

For those looking for books to read, please click on my name and go to my site. There's a list full o' plenty of books to read. And all kinds of nice things said about good books, and mean things said about bad books.

The Critic said...

Also, taking up drinking in a quiet dive is a way to meet people. I do not say "nice way" to meet people, nor do I say "nice people." But I can guarantee you'll both meet people, and you'll hear some interesting stories.

The Critic said...

Plus, if you sit there quietly reading a book, it is apparently the universal sign for someone to approach you and interrupt your reading to ask "Good book?" or "Whatcha reading?"

Ta-da! Now all you have to do is reply.

Related Posts with Thumbnails