Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Love/Hate Letter






 Dear Wedding,

In the beginning, I didn't want you. I didn't think you were necessary, and I pleaded with my groom to be that we either elope or swing by the court house. But then, Wedding, you convinced me with your promises of black and white, quirky and everlasting photos. You taunted me with formal wear, and flowers, and eventually I was caught up in the whole thing.

At first, I was consumed with finalizing the big picture, the colors, the location the invitations. And, oh Wedding, how you have made everything so much harder than it needed to be, and so much more costly. You have taken up my weekends and any bit of free time I can squeeze out of my stressful work day.  And here we are, a few months away, and you have gotten worse. Now, I spend hours researching vintage charm, and where to buy orchids. I have made myself crazy with worry about if the details will all fit together or if it will appear as though we are insane mismatched hoarders.

But Wedding, I realized something. You don't have to be what everyone else wants you to be. You only have to be what Dave and I want. So, I have stopped listening to everyone else, their suggestions, and criticisms. If Dave and I love it, that's how we are choosing. Blue shoes may not match anything-- but they make me HAPPY Wedding, and that is why I will wear them. I despise roses, which is why you will not have any any. Dave loves black and white and clean lines, which is why you are designed the way you are.  Wedding, Dave and I are tired of fighting over whether or not you are what you should be-- we are re-claiming you. You will be what we want. 

And Wedding, we have had enough with your expensive taste. From now on, we will choose the things we love, and can afford, despite what you say. I will refer to you as  Family Reunion in public so I am not charged extra if I have to. You will not bankrupt us Wedding, so just give it up.

Wedding, we are looking forward to your arrival, and your departure so that we may have our weekends back.  See you in July!

Andrea & Dave

p.s. Tell Honeymoon to be patient.






This was inspired by some of the women featured on this great wedding site  who have written open letters to their weddings. Check them out!

1 comment:

liz digitale anderson said...

WIN.

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN....

you rock the wedding, andrea and dave. and it will rock for you.

huzzah!

Related Posts with Thumbnails