Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Brain storm

Sitting here at work, the early morning before everyone else arrives, I watch the little old lady in the condo next door vacuum and water plants. I envy her. She has time, time to vacuum and water plants at her leisure. I imagine she has time to do other things she enjoys (yes, in my mind she is enjoying the mundane task of vacuuming with her absurdly out of date gigantic vacuum cleaner-- the kind with the separate tank that you have to pull along behind you). She has time, is the point. Time to casually water her plants, tend to her flowers and relax on her balcony. She seems so peaceful and happy-- but really it's just because she has time.




As I watch her, my envy of her time grows and my mind shifts into brainstorming ideas on how I can achieve more time for myself-- clearly sitting in an office all day working for someone else is not the answer...
 

I think of things I enjoy doing that I could potentially start a business in to sustain our lifestyle while giving myself more personal time.

Cleaning and organizing. I like being at home, and having time to do this. It makes me feel better about our home. But, I dont want to clean and organize someone else's home. So, no.

Hanging out with the dog. I like hanging out with Wellstone, and often wish I was home during the day to go on walks, to the dog park and beach etc. But, again, I dont want to do this with other dogs, just my own.  So, no again.

Watering plants. I do enjoy taking care of my little deck plants. But, again, I dont want to do this for others. No again.

Then, after realizing I don't want to do things I remember the things I do like about things as they are. I like being downtown during the day, I like typing (which i realize is strange) I do get to clean and organize and etc. in my job. Turns out the job isnt all bad. If only I could get my boss to let me bring Wellstone to the office.

I just think maybe it would be better if things were more balanced. If I had more time at home to enjoy being at home, but still got to come downtown to work -- how do I make this happen? Wait and see I guess. Maybe when I am older this will work out for me, in the meantime-- back to the grindstone.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Well, I think that when the wedding is over, and you have completed your graduate studies, you may feel like you have a TON of time on your hands. But the real resolve to your problem is the following:

It's this wonderful thing called- "working from home a few days a week"

However, since I am aware this isn't an option for you, I feel as though you should know a few things.

It is a convenient and nice fall back to bad weather and late starts- but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

1. It's lonely being "at work" and in your house. No people to talk to, except phone calls to clients (yuck) or one sided (ok, sometimes two sided) conversations with your dog.
2. Theres this sickening guilt feeling that happens if you think about turning on the tv during your downtime, and then this impending doom feeling when you actually commit to watching something.

3. Having the dog available is great, but mine is whiney (as is yours I believe) and requires a LOT of attention which ultimately leads to him crawling on my lap while I'm typing some elaborate email, and then onto my laptop when he catches on I'm not petting him.

4. Then the worst thing. When your at home and your work is right in front of you, it's hard to stop. And who likes working longer than necessary, especially while at home?

Anyway. Just wait until the huge things in your life are finalized and you may find yourself craving being busy again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails