Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sweet Apple Pie


When you purchase a new iphone, the store representative looks you directly in the eye and says, "Don't get it wet". They are NOT kidding. Granted, accidents happen, but most people get a few drops of water on the screen or something spills. Most, much more intelligent and capable and coordinated people unlike me, never have an issue with water.

I put my phone in my pocket, and literally walked into Lake Michigan.

Before we get all upset chastising me for my sheer stupidity and ridiculousness, let me assure you, I KNOW! I usually don't put my phone in my pocket, so I forgot it was there when, while at the dog beach, we decided to go out deeper to get our dog to swim. As you know, we own a very whiny and wimpy great dane. He loves to jump around like a lunatic in the water but has never gotten out deep enough to actually swim. We thought if both of us went out there, he would follow. I mean, at this point, I'm holding my soggy phone in my hand saying, " at least it will be worth it if he comes out here"

He walked until it got deep, and stood there crying like a baby girl.

So then began the adventure of trying to save my iphone. We put it in uncooked rice. This was supposed to draw the water out of the electronics, and render my phone usable again. I left it overnight and it ran itself out of battery life. The next afternoon, I plugged it in and after letting it regain its life, it worked... IT WORKED!!! My contacts, my apps, my email it was all there, I made a few calls, sent some texts, read some emails, and settled in for the night. I actually put it back in the rice just as a safety precaution before heading to bed, relieved the home remedy actually paid off.

The next morning, I could hear it buzzing with new emails, but the screen was only white.

I could get calls, unlock it, everything, but it would only stay on the white screen. I tried numerous hard resets, and finally decided that I would open it up and examine. This, was after I called AT&T where I purchased the phone to find out that a. I would have to take this problem to the Apple store and b. It would only cost me the discounted price of a replacement... $400! Yes, you read that correctly, $400.

We took it apart, we examined, we used the hairdryer, and of course back in the rice. With the exception of the already tripped water damage sensors (found how to read them on the lovely Internet) there was no evidence of the accident. I read multiple posts from other Apple users with similar problems, some had to pay the total amount, some got a discounted rate and some lucky bastards tricked the Apple geniuses into believing it had nothing to do with water and walked away with a new free phone.

But, let's be serious, I am not that lucky.

I went to the Apple store, and made my way to the upstairs filled to the brim with customers waiting in line for their " scheduled" appointments. You have to schedule an appointment?! What? I was told it was a 2 hour wait.

This was when I interjected, " Look, I know I need to replace it, I just want to do it as quickly and as cheaply as possible" and apparently this persuaded the wonderful young man behind the counter to let me cut ahead, if only for a second. He checked the water damage sensor, which we already know showed the unlucky truth. I explained that it had been working since then ( which is true... the first night after the rice...) and he took pity on me and said he would give me a $200 replacement. I sighed, I thanked him countless times, and sat down while he adjusted my new phone. My old one was in recovery mode already so he was unable to save my apps, contacts and pictures, but what a small sacrifice since I just saved $200. He handed my my new, dry phone, and had me sign a receipt. I handed him my credit card, with relief.. and...

He said, " that's ok, we'll just take care of it this time"

WHAT!? Did i just get THAT LUCKY?! HOLY DAMN IT CHRISTMAS! I just got my phone replaced for free!

Apple, you have won a customer for life. I will embrace your warm, sweet gooey center, just like Sweet Apple Pie. mmmmm.

1 comment:

Dave said...

It's a good thing they didn't replace it with that shite of an offering they're calling iPhone 4.

Related Posts with Thumbnails