Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Shark Fin Soup

If you know me well enough, or have been following this blog you have probably picked up on the fact that my boss is a bit of an interesting character. This makes working for him extremely fun sometimes, though also, a little odd, and rushed. But, what's not to love?

Yesterday, after returning from his trip to Asia, he proceeded to enlighten us on the Chinese delicacies he enjoyed while there. All I could think was that I would never eat most of these things. As he told me about them, I looked each up on Wikipedia (I suggest you do the same) and in most cases was revolted. We decided to liken his food experiences to that of the over the top portrayal of exotic cuisine in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Seriously, how many of you can say your work day included dispelling the plausible moments in the dinner scenes of an Indiana Jones movie.. not many of you I should guess.

Jelly Fish Appetizer: He described it as being similar to the consistency of angel hair pasta, but more translucent and chewier. I asked if it was similar to squid ( as I am a lover of calamari) and he explained that it was a similar texture, but even more tough. I considered the possibility that I would try this one. Of this particular list, probably only this one is a possible one for me.

Duck Tongue: I know what you are thinking, "Ducks have tongues?" but if you think about it for a minute, yes, yes they do. And apparently, these tiny little things are served as a "delicious" appetizer. My boss was not impressed but said it wasn't as bad as he expected.

Shark Fin Soup: I am morally against this entree as I am opposed to catching sharks only to cut off their fins for human consumption. I would not try this one. ( I like my sharks swimming happily and sometimes angrily in the ocean so I can watch them on Shark week) He described it as being like soft noodles all attached together (I was picturing a block of ramen) he said as this was his second attempt at this dish that it was prepared better this time around and tasted fine and even gave him a shot of energy.

Bird's Nest Soup: Apparently this is a soup made of actual saliva created birds nests. Gross. And, expensive.

Durian: believed to be the most awful smelling fruit in the world, it is actually outlawed in many public places due to its offensive odor. Apparently, if you can get past that, it tastes great.



And here I am all excited that I tried a bubble smoothie in Chinatown. Fresh fruit with little black "bubbles" of tapioca Delicious... and about as adventurous as I'm going to get. It's my new favorite find. mmmmm.

5 comments:

Dave said...

GAH! the tapioca bubbles are laced with meth! they're sooo addictive and delicious.

The Critic said...

mmmm...you can get bubble smoothies here in chinatown and they are freakin awesome.

Dave said...

You know they probably eat the weird shit off the sharks too. They save the brains and eyeballs for the super high rollers.

Mary said...

All I am saying is Andrew Zimmerman from Bizzare Foods, can eat just about anything, and even he couldn't stomach Durian. Ugh...

Unknown said...

my relatives on my mom's side of the family tried to make me eat it. i think i had the same problem at the time i heard it was bird spit. but for the sake of health, I am now taking it regularly.

btw, i don't buy the super-expensive kind like old people do. the ready-to-drink kind at the stores are pretty affordable. (e.g. www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm)

Related Posts with Thumbnails