Sunday, July 20, 2008

100th Race to Mackinac


A. and I had made plans to attend the 100th running of 'Chicago Yacht Club's 'Race to Mackinac' , a sailing event where over 400 boats thirty feet and larger will sail 333 miles, and spend between an average of 40 to 60 hours from Navy Pier crossing Lake Michigan to Mackinac Island in Michigan. The Race to Mackinac is the longest freshwater sailing race in the world. Our day started out a wet one as soon as we woke up. Without rain gear, or an effective umbrella, we walked two and a half blocks down to the red line at which point we were already soaked, only to board the train and be informed that the train would not be stopping at our destination underground, but following an elevated route instead. This change of events left us guessing the easiest way to get to the pier. We walked around downtown Chicago with no real idea where we were headed, angry, irritated, and drenched before finally giving up and hailing a cab. Upon arrival at the race, the rain had subsided (of course, why wouldn't it) and we made our way to the Beer Garden where Alpha Graphics treated A. and I to a wonderful buffet lunch. Alpha Graphics held the lunch in support of their boat 'The Indecision' who was manned by former/current? U.S. Sailing members. We also were cheering on a boat in support of one of A.'s coworkers acquaintances called 'Nightmare', a larger boat in the GL70 section (I have no idea what that means). Boats can be followed in progress by on board trackers to see where on the lake they've made it to thus far. All in all, after the rain, a good day.
D.

5 comments:

Lonely Paul said...

Hello

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I like peanut butter and jelly, Sometimes I like turkey. Never been a big fan of ham, and never really had any spam. But in case you have forgotten, the spam will never go rotten. As long as you find your way to the pantry, I will always be a big fan, see? I don't really know what that means, but everything isn't always as it seems. So until next time I bless you with my words, watch where you walk so you don't step in any turds.

The Critic said...

The comments section around here gets weirder every day.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that! Tis a strange place you got here kids.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand boats, but I do understand anonymous. I think that's because anonymous rhymes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails