Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th & Facebook

Happy Friday the 13th! Be careful out there, don't walk under any ladders, let a black cat cross your path, or you know, get otherwise killed by Jason.

Today, I wish I was elsewhere. Driving aimlessly through the countryside, watching the sun set over the mountains ( to those of you actually doing this... I hate you!) I think I just feel like I need a break from normal life. Things have been stressful lately and I would just like to get away. My only distraction as of late has been facebook. ( which I realize is sad and pathetic)

But here is the thing about Facebook... I generally get annoyed. While I enjoy reading everyone's chain letters/random personal information notes ( lately: 25 random things, 15 movie quotes, ipod shuffle, albums that changed my life, new names, do you remember high school.... just to name a few) I rarely fill them out for myself. I did the 25 random things, I cant think of only 15 movies to quote, I dont have an ipod, I would probably be ridiculed for my album choices ( bon jovi was inspirational when I was young, and my la bamba cassette changed my life) I have no interest in figuring out what my gangster name is based on my favorite color and street name. And, yes... thanks to Facebook, I remember high school.

I have not spoken or associated with anyone from the first high school I attended(with one notable exception, but technically she and I didnt become friends until AFTER high school) since, well, I left. Yet Facebook has brought these people back to me. And, I can't decide if this is something I wanted, or not. Was I curious about what happened to everyone? Sure. Did I need to befriend my old chemistry lab partner, re-kindle a pseudo relationship with the best friend that stabbed me in the back, accept a friend request from the kid that bullied me for years? Yeah... probably not.

I find myself asking, is it morally right to join a group dedicated to the graduating class of that high school... when I technically didnt graduate from there? Is it necessary to be reminded of my awkward nerdiness?

Basically, Facebook has turned into an everlasting reunion. And, while I can't help but be fascinated, I wonder if my self esteem will suffer? Will I resort back to feeling like a misunderstood teenage girl with braces? I certainly hope not.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Social networking is a nightmare. True story.

The Critic said...

That shit it all I do and I too dread it when someone from my past I have no interest in finding finds me instead. what to do? what should I do? accept their invitation to be friends? decline? ignore. arrgh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails